The Real Tom

On Thu, 19 May 2005 03:51:14 -0400, " uriah wrote:

Just got new drop in electric stove which has 4 wire 10 gage hookup.
Old stove has 3 wire 6 gage cable per my inspection of breaker box.
Do I have to replace with 4 wire cable or can I run a single 6 gage
wire to box to for forth wire.
Stan

No. Sorry that I don't have the specific article in the NEC that says
it, but I recall, all wires in a circuit must be housed in a cabled
sheath, jacket or raceway. The forth wire would be independent of the
original 3 conductor cable, therefore it would violate this
requirement.

I'm guessing from what you wrote the forth wire would be a dedicated
equipement grounding conductor(since years ago 120/240volt applances
were grounded via the neutral wire), so even thought it isn't normally
carrying current of the circuit, it's part of the system.

Please, working from memory, so referr to the actual codes(even local)
for performing any electrical work.

hth,

tom @ www.WorkAtHomePlans.com