Stormin Mormon

Default Hand versus power tools

Another man and I had a discussion a couple weeks ago. The question of
power versus hand tools.

The context was replacing springs under a truck or van. I've done leaf
springs, but not coils. The first leaf spring replacement, I did at a
friend's garage. I'd left most of my heavy tools home, figuring he was
well supplied with tools. I was disppointed to find that someone had
just stolen some of his tools, including his impact wrench.

We put a 7/8 socket onto a breaker bar, and got the nut started. And
then quickly change that to a ratchet, and keep pulling. We were both
sore at the end of that experience.

The other leaf spring, I brought my own impact gun. It's not a fancy
one, it's a Wel Bilt, from Harbor Freight. I heated the nut, and then
pop the impact gun on, and pull the trigger. Don't let off the
trigger, till the nut is off the bolt. That seemed to work fairly
well.

However, my friend (who is far more athletic and muscled than I am,
was, or will be) prefers hand wrenching.

So, what do the other fine posters on this group think? Hand wrenches
or power tools? Lets not dissolve into chants of "Great taste / less
filling" which was a mantra from a beer commercial a couple decades
ago.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus