HorneTD

G Henslee wrote:
What do you think the "local Code Enforcement Office" uses to administer and enforce the codes 'locally'? To mention a few, ever heard of the Uniform Building Code, International Building Code, International Residential Code?

Among others, I've got all of those code books sitting on my desk for referral. They *are* the horses mouth and are all or in part adopted by governmental agencys/building departments/code enforcement departments nationwide with regards to building codes and their enforcement of them.

When it comes to the "requirements and technicalities" regarding housing, zoning, or public nuisance codes, as an ICBO, IBC, and CCEO certified building, zoning, and code enforcement inspector I believe I can give it from the horses mouth.

OTH if all I had to offer for advice was "maybe this or maybe that and call your local inspector" then I would really have nothing to offer here and I wouldn't.

Pop's concern is well founded. Since you are not the Authority Having
Jurisdiction (AHJ) for the code that has actually been adopted in the
OPs community your answer is nowhere near final. Fire resistive
separation may not have been required in that community when that home
was built. If the OP undertakes to do what you advise they may be
subject to permits and inspection. Adding a firewall to the structure
could cause the finished structure to be subject to enactments passed
since the home was built. An Inquiry directed to the actual AHJ may
well avoid a major expense.
--
Tom Horne