Steve Wilson

Default Replacement rails for sliding patio doors

(Lobster) wrote in message . com...
(Steve Wilson) wrote in message . com...
I'm trying to save myself several hundred pounds by refurbishing some
ageing patio doors rather than replacing them. They have many
interesting "features" that need rectifying (including a section that
seems to have been eaten by the previous occupiers' dog) but the major
problem is that the slider rails have simply worn down with use.
My initial investigations have not turned up a source of these rails,
but I'm sure it must be possible to buy replacements somewhere.

Hopefully I'm not stating the bleedin' obvious, but do you know who
the manufacturer was, and if so have you tried contacting them?

I would have thought any such rails would be brand-specific, so
without knowing who the m'fr is, I suspect you may be stuck. If the
m'fr is indeed unknown, have you tried doing the rounds of all the
local patio door fitters (I'm assuming yours are uPVC or something,
rather than a bespoke joinery job?) on the premiss that the previous
occupants may have originally done likewise?

David

Hi David,
They are wooden doors. No, I can't tell who the manufacturer is - any
indications have long since gone. I was hoping that the rails would
be generic, not brand specific. If you're right then it looks like
I'll have to shell out for replacement doors (which will be UPVC).
Cheers,
Steve