Pufter Pufter is offline
Member

Location: Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazza
I am in the process of decorating and laying a laminate floor, to avoid
using beading to cover the expansion gap (tried it in another room but
did not like the effect) I have removed the skirting board which will be
painted before replacing over the laminate.
Rather than nailing it back in position I am thinking of using one of
the "no nails" type of adhesive, anybody had any experience using this
method with skirting, it is quite hefty measuring 170 x 20mm.

Bazza
I like no nails when replacing skirting using laminate. Buy a trade pack of the stuff from B&Q - it's cheaper. A word of warning - as it dries it will pull the skirting (or anything else - eg. dado rail) into every slight dip in the wall horizontally resulting in bendy skirting instead of dead straight. This will look awful. As soon as you fit it to the wall, pack out any larger gaps between the skirting & wall with anything that won't compress to stop it being pulled in at these points. Card is better than nothing, but pieces of self adhesive vinyl floor tiles cut into little rectangles are great (go to Poundland) because you can stick 'em together to build up the depth plus the sticky side ensures they dont just drop down the gap. Push them down just below the top of the skirting or use a stanley knife to trim off the excess flush. Wait at least 24 hours for the no nails to go off, then seal along the top with your decorators caulk. No-one will ever know & you'll have nice straight skirting. Screw skirting when using carpet - the pressure of the carpet tucked in can force your skirting off the wall over time otherwise. Use car body filler to fill the holes - cheaper than woodfiller & easier to sand.