Mark

doozer wrote in

I intend to try my hand at furniture making things like cupboards and
book shelves etc etc for personal use. I'm just learning at the moment
though so I am making little things like letter stands and trivets. If
an electric plane + spoke shaves is the way forward I'm happy with that.
The less hard work I have to do by hand the better )

Electric planes are indoor chain saws, ;(
very useful but not really going to produce fine cabinet making.
You can find good second hand planes Record or Stanley
( the older the better as the newer ones seem to be made from ex Chinese
railway lines )
at boot sale for very little money, learn to use and sharpen one of these
and they will last a lifetime.