Beachcomber

One thing I noticed about the unit was that it used a 2-pin power lead with
apparently no earth. As in, the socket on the machine only had 2 pins, so
there was no option to use an earthed cable (even though the transformer had
earthed sockets). What's the deal with this? Can anything be done? Obviously
I can't sell a unit on eBay in Very Good Condition if it shocks you when you
plug it in, even if it works fine otherwise.

Is my only option to sell it as-seen with a buyer warning?

If you sell this product, even with a warning, you are opening up
yourself to servere liability issues.

An electric shock can be painful under the best conditions and
potentially deadly under the worst conditons.

It's likely that the transformer that the person you bought this from
was providing isolation and hence their claim of no shocks may have
valid.

Beachcomber