Martin Angove

Default Electrician's Box Sinker

In message ,
Martin Angove wrote:

Since I'm likely to be doing a lot of wiring work in the future, I've
been looking at various tools to make my life easier, and a nice shiny
new SDS drill is top of the list. Maybe we'll talk about what else I
should get later, but for now what I want to know is, are the
"Electrician's Box Sinker" devices (e.g. Screwfix d74206 / d91913) any
good?

They sound like a great idea, but if I'm going to be spending over £160
on a tool to do a single job I want to know, firstly does it *really*
work, secondly is it easier than other methods and thirdly, will it
last?

Great responses, thanks everyone. Just to confirm, the £160 I'm worried
about *isn't* the cost of the drill (though not far off - I've been
looking at a 620W Bosch), it's the combined cost of the sinker set
(single, double, rotary, pilot) from Screwfix.

If I read things right, it seems there are two camps on this matter.
First camp says they're brilliant for making a hole and doing it neatly,
second says there are cheaper ways that don't make as much dust.

I think I'm beginning to lean towards the idea of using a core drill and
squaring it off with a chisel.

Seriously short of powertool catalogues though. Maybe a request to
Axminster is in order :-)

Hwyl!

Martin.

--
Martin Angove (it's Cornish for "Smith") - ARM/Digital SA110 RPC
See the Aber Valley -- http://www.tridwr.demon.co.uk/abervalley.html