Mike Halmarack

On Tue, 31 May 2005 09:35:22 +0100, Chris Bacon
wrote:

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
Well, just look at the average plane blade. It's supported as close to the
cutting edge as possible.

Perhaps you'd care to expand on that superficially wrong statement?

It's about right, if you consider that "as close to the cutting edge
as possible" doesn't mean as close to the cutting edge as it can go.
The curling or back irons of my planes are all within between 2mm and
5mm of the cutting edge. That seems pretty close to me considering the
comparative chunkiness of standard plane irons.
My Dad bought a "Razor-Plane" once. It took used razor blades. It
didn't take them far though.
--
Regards,
Mike Halmarack