Andy Hall

On Tue, 31 May 2005 09:58:22 +0100, doozer
wrote:

I intend to try my hand at furniture making things like cupboards and
book shelves etc etc for personal use. I'm just learning at the moment
though so I am making little things like letter stands and trivets. If
an electric plane + spoke shaves is the way forward I'm happy with that.
The less hard work I have to do by hand the better )

An electric plane is really too aggressive for that, plus there is an
amount of "disconnect" from the work. A well sharpened and tuned
hand plane is a much better proposition. In fact, it's worth getting
two or three of different sizes depending on the work.

If you are looking to make things "mechanically accurate" then
woodworking machines such as table saw, planer, thicknesser etc. are
the way to go.

I find that I need a combination of both depending on the project.

Electric planes are suited to rough DIY work but are neither a
sensitive device for hand work nor an accurate one for producing
machined pieces.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl