dave stanton

Buy a couple of second-hand steel planes (e.g. "Record" 4 1/2 + a
larger one), which are reasonable. Make sure you know how to sharpen
and set them for various types of timber and work. Keep them sharp,
too, this is very very important! I don't know what A.G. means above
about "a spokeshave for going into corners", as this isn't what
they're for. There are all sorts of planes and uses for them, but
two (or three) will certainly do you for now.

And a lesson I learnt from my time served cabinet maker father.
Never, ever, put a plane down on its base, always put it down on
its side. THat way you dont ruin the edge of the blade.
Get a clip around the ear everytime you do that and you never forget.

Dave