Chris Bacon

doozer wrote:
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
doozer writes:
Anyway can someone point me in the direction of some decent planes at
affordable prices ;o) and perhaps tell me what to look for in a good
plane?

What do you want it for? Nowadays, I mostly use an electric
plane, but they aren't suitable for everything. 20 years ago,
I used a hand plane quite often, but on more recent attempts
to do so, I find I can't use it any more. Not sure if it's
because I've forgotten how to, or if it just doesn't suit
todays fast produced timber with the grain going in all
directions. I also have a spokeshave for going into corners.

I intend to try my hand at furniture making things like cupboards and
book shelves etc etc for personal use. I'm just learning at the moment
though so I am making little things like letter stands and trivets. If
an electric plane + spoke shaves is the way forward I'm happy with that.
The less hard work I have to do by hand the better )

Buy a couple of second-hand steel planes (e.g. "Record" 4 1/2 + a
larger one), which are reasonable. Make sure you know how to sharpen
and set them for various types of timber and work. Keep them sharp,
too, this is very very important! I don't know what A.G. means above
about "a spokeshave for going into corners", as this isn't what
they're for. There are all sorts of planes and uses for them, but
two (or three) will certainly do you for now.