doozer

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
doozer writes:

Ok I'm convinced. I didn't buy one at the show simply because I have
seen other people buy "wonder tools" that turned out to just be rubbish.
I am of the opinion that after several hundred years of refinement the

^^^^^^^
Several thousand years actually -- the romans used them.

plane is probably close n as good as it's going to get.

Anyway can someone point me in the direction of some decent planes at
affordable prices ;o) and perhaps tell me what to look for in a good plane?

What do you want it for? Nowadays, I mostly use an electric
plane, but they aren't suitable for everything. 20 years ago,
I used a hand plane quite often, but on more recent attempts
to do so, I find I can't use it any more. Not sure if it's
because I've forgotten how to, or if it just doesn't suit
todays fast produced timber with the grain going in all
directions. I also have a spokeshave for going into corners.

I intend to try my hand at furniture making things like cupboards and
book shelves etc etc for personal use. I'm just learning at the moment
though so I am making little things like letter stands and trivets. If
an electric plane + spoke shaves is the way forward I'm happy with that.
The less hard work I have to do by hand the better )

--

.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯ http://www.shallowsea.com ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`