EricP

Default Plane

On Mon, 30 May 2005 15:02:39 +0100, doozer
babbled like a waterfall and
said:

I was just reading a thread about planes and it reminded me that I was
going to ask you guys about them. I'm no expert with wood at the moment
so take it easy with the technical stuff ) (I've made book shelves and
a cupboard but they have been bulky and lacking finesse).

I was up at the NEC a little while back for the home and house building
show and I saw a French guy there selling the "Wonder Boy Plane" (or
something like that) it was a small plane that took Stanley knife blades
and came in a kit with had various attachments to convert it into
different types of plane. I really liked the look of it but I thought I
would find out more first so I didn't get one there and then thinking I
could pick one up on line. So does anyone know what I am talking about
and where I could get one? If you do know and think they are pants what
would you suggest as an alternative?

If it's any help it was similar in design to this
http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.a...=23088&recno=6 but it looks
better built.

Many Thanks
Graham

I would regard them as junk for all but very simple work like putting
a 2 mil chamfer on an edge of softwood.

I suppose sharpening is your problem? It certainly is mine.

This has been my salvation over the years:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...4781 382&rd=1

A decent oil stone or even wet/dry on a firm work surface works well
with one of these.