Watson A.Name - \Watt Sun, the Dark Remover\

"James Sweet" wrote in message

Mebart wrote in message

Thanks for writing. I belong to the Indoor Air Quality mailing list
and ozonec is a popular topic, so I'm fairly well versed in the

ozone
matter.

The short version is that no ozone level is safe-the EPA has stopped
just short of this declaration because they have a mandate to keep

the
air clean and they can't admit that they aren't doing their mandated
function::

I read all the ebay auctions for these devices, and they all have
ozone sections, claiming that the units they sell only produce XX
units of ozone.....but they leave out the part about the volume of

air
that the results are spec'd for. Obviously I can put a small ozone
generator in a large auditorium and measure no increase in ozone.

But
leaving out the volume of the room where the results were obtained

is
like measuring the carbon monoxide output of an engine that's upwind
of the measuring device...'nuff said.

Somehow though, people continue to pay for these things, so the
auction prices never drop low enough for me to afford to buy any to
dissect. As PTB said, "there is a sucker born every minute".

They're a bit of a gimmick overall, but people will pay for them

because
it's hard to prove whether or not they do any good, and they do mostly

at
least filter the air which I suppose is better than nothing.

I have an ozone generator I built a while back which works well for
deoderizing but it's certainly not something I'd want running all the

time.
I just put it in a room that's a bit smelly, plug it in, leave the

room and
shut the door, then a half hour or so later unplug it and open the

window to
air it out, does a nice job for that.

Anything that's rubber gets destroyed by ozone. I can leave rubber
bands around a few floppies, and a few months later they fall off, or
worse yet, turn to mush. If I lived and worked out in the countryu the
rubber bands might last for years.