Percival P. Cassidy

On 05/07/05 05:02 pm HorneTD tossed the following ingredients into the
ever-growing pot of cybersoup:

I want to run 4 x 10-gauge conductors (Neutral, Ground, 2 Hots) from a
generator inlet box at the back of the house to a transfer panel in
the basement -- approx. 25 ft.

They will run parallel to the joists most of the way. Should I use
individual THHN conductors in conduit (metal? PVC? I understand that
3/4" is an appropriate size), or can I use 10-3WG NM-B stapled to the
sides of a joist?

Either approach is perfectly acceptable so use whichever one suits you.

OK. Thanks. Now I just thought of another question: if I use NM-B and
feed it down through the back of the inlet box and a hole in the siding,
how can I staple it within 8in. of the box? (Am I remembering the Code
correctly?) I won't be able to get at it to staple it until it emerges
from between the siding and the sheetrock into the space above the
suspended ceiling.

So does this mean I *must* use separate conductors in conduit instead?

Perce