habbi

I am not sure on stair terminology but when you say riser do you mean the
the sides of the stairs or the back where your toes hit when going up them.
If you mean the sides then that sound like a good idea. I could plug the
holes with wood plug as well. As for the nut do you think a hex nut
squeezing on the round side of the hole would be fine.

"Tom Quackenbush" wrote in message
habbi wrote:

I tried in rec.woodworking but nobody could help. I want to build a pine
timber straight staircase. My stringers are 4 X 12 and the treads are 3 X
11. The wood is freshly sawn so I don't think moritising the treads into

the
stringers will be a good idea because of shrinkage. I was thinking of

simply
lag bolting the treads in place and then everything could be tightened as

it
dried. Threaded rod through the treads would be nice but drilling a 4'

long
hole through the 3" thick treads would be tricky. Any other ideas out

there,
I don't want to re-invent the wheel.
Thanks

Rather than running a threaded rod the full length of the tread,
why not use 3" or 4" bolts into each end of the tread, though the
riser? Route or cut a pocket from the underside of the tread to hold a
captured nut (or threaded dowel, etc.). In addition to being easier
than drilling a 4' long hole, those bolt heads will look a lot nicer
than the protruding all thread.

I don't know how you're securing the risers, top & bottom. I assume
that it can accomadate the risers getting a little closer together
over time?

R,
Tom Q.
Remove bogusinfo to reply.