WillR

George wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

I'll let the "Craftsman" experts answer your question on the lathe, but
I WILL BET YOU that the tools are carbon steel, not HSS, in MHO JUNK!

Opinions differ. Carbon steel still makes the finishing passes at my house.
Of course I don't turn at tang-breaking, steel annealing speeds, either. I
learned that tool presentation trumps power in getting a good surface.

Have to agree with you. I want a set of M2 HSS tools and all I have now
is Carbon Steel -- but I turned some poplar and got tiny curly shavings
off the finishing pass. Thought it was sawdust till I looked closely.
The skew was doing what it should do -- working like a plane. :-)

I finally got a lead on some new carbon tools, which is good, as a couple of
my former 6" gouges now look more like teaspoons.

--
Will
Occasional Techno-geek