mac davis

On Fri, 27 May 2005 10:18:13 -0400, Robatoy wrote:

In article ,
"Leon" wrote:

[snippage]

there are some people that complain about PSA paper being a PIA to use.

I am one of those complainers. My problem was that I would use one grit
for a while, take it off, go up a grit, take it off etc. Then I'd re-use
the same 3 or 4 disks on another job, because they weren't worn enough
to discard.
Hook & Loop was a solution for me and I never looked back. PSA just
doesn't compare.

Then came along Mirka Abranet. It's a screen and must be Hook 'n Loop.
No lining up holes either. Sanding large flat surfaces just doesn't get
any better than this.

One beef: I wish that Lee Valley's conversion pads from PSA to H'nL
would have a thicker pile of hook on them. The ones currently sold are
not very 'grabby'.

As a new convert to H&L, I've gotta testify.. *g*

I've used PSA when I'm doing a lot of sanding, but find that tearing my own
sheets (on 1/4 & 1/3 sheet sanders) is cheaper, easier and less hassle..

Then, on the urging of the wood turning group, I bought a set of disc pads for
bowl sanding, and they are H&L... it's wonderful!
No sticky stuff, change grits back 7 forth until the paper is ready to toss and
no worries about being a little off when you put it on.. just pull it back off
and try again.. hard to do with PSA..
I'm in the process of converting my most used sanders to H&L now and will not
buy a new one that isn't set up for it..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing