Tom Gardner

Default Mechanic's carpal tunnel

One of my mechanics is claiming carpal tunnel. I always thought repetitive
motion was to blame. He does general repair and maintenance and set-ups,
usually with nothing more than a set of Allan wrenches and a 8" crescent.
I'm a little leery after he declared bankruptcy a few years ago after
applying for and maxing-out numerous credit cards to get all the building
materials and rehabbing three houses, go on dive and ski trips and buy his
then girlfriend a $10k diamond ring. In fact, he wanted to be paid under
the table for the process...I refused. He's lawyered up and refuses our
medical protocol. It's rumored that he has another job lined up. I just
smell a scam. I know, management is always trying to screw the worker but I
value, reward and love my people...he's always been just a "Them" but he's
been treated with kid gloves because he IS bright and resourceful but always
needed constant motivation. I've always tried to maximize someone's
strengths and minimize their weaknesses.

Does anybody have any experience with carpal tunnel syndrome? Is it common
to be caused by a mechanic's work? Gee, do you think rehabbing three houses
could have been more strain than his job? Or, his Wet-bike?