Leon

Default PSA Sand Paper

Since 1989 I have used nothing but PSA paper on my sanders. Prior to that I
bought and sold thousands of boxes of this product and it was the standard
in the automotive body shop industry.
Up until 3 weeks ago I have read many complaints of PSA paper being a PIA
to use. The main complaints were that it was too difficult to remove and
that it left a sticky residue on the sander pad. For years I could only
scratch my head and wonder WTF are these people complaining about as I have
had no problems with this type paper at all and had never witnessed auto
body man having a problem with it at all.

Well now I may see the light. My PSA sanders are Porter Cables. I have
always used Porter Cable or 3M paper on these sanders and again must say
that I have never had a problem with removing and replacing paper on these
sanders.
Enter into the equation, Porter Cable being bought by B&D. My local
supplier had stopped reordering inventory from Porter Cable until the
details were all worked out over the acquisition. Naturally the first
things to run out was his Porter Cable sand papers. This left me with the
choice to order paper and for the sake of giving another brand a try I chose
Kingspor sand paper. I bought a box of 5" round PSA for my ROS and a roll
of PSA paper for my SpeedBloc sander. WHAT A DISAPPOINTMENT. I now see why
there are some people that complain about PSA paper being a PIA to use.
I'll go back to PC paper. Apparently Kingspor feels that PSA paper should
be semi permanent and should leave 1/3 of the adhesive stuck to the sander
pad. Every time that I remove the paper I have to clean the sander pad with
acetone to remove the adhesive. Doing this 10 to 12 times a day gets old
quick. I'm going back to PC brand and suggest that if you have had problems
with PSA paper to try the Porter Cable brand. You should be pleasantly
surprised.