Wild Bill

You might be better off by staying away from the HF 39083. I believe it's
too large for a mini lathe, maybe the smallest swing would be about 10", but
more suitable for a 12" lathe.

I have one of the 39083 sets, that was made in India that was very
frustrating to use. As someone mentioned, the screws are total crap and the
plastic handle grip broke almost immediately (different style, tapered
cylindrical shape).
Additionally, the handle is sometimes hard to move, the holders raise up
when they're locked in place, and the thread on the supplied center bolt was
crooked (don't know they managed to do that).

I haven't tried this set, but Phase II makes a micro-size QCTP they named
Micro Quick Change Tool System, their stock # 250-075
This link might be broken by it's length, but the micro specs can be found
by looking at their Products and Machine Tool Accessories, Quick Change
Tooling Micro 5-8" swing
http://www.phase2plus.com/details.as...ystem&id=2 30

WB

"Derek" wrote in message
I have a small 7" x 10" mini lathe for hobby stuff etc.
I'm looking at buying a quick change tool post from Harbor Freight,
there are 2 that seem to fit the bill according to my budget.

Namely :-

and,

While I understand these are bare bones, budget type posts, I would
appreciate any input/feedback on these. Is there any real advantage
between the two considering the nonimal price difference. Bear in
mind, I have more fun shaving steel than producing an end product
and my teeth curl when I see my Kid using a cut-off tool for shaping
metal.

Thanks.