andrewpreece

"Glenn" wrote in message

"dennis@home" wrote in message
. uk...

"Glenn" wrote in message

SNIP

When you say a gravel dump do you mean road salt?

If it is it will kill the grass and other plants and washes away in the
rain.

No, it's not road salt, it's glacial gravel, recovered from road works and
left at the side of the road prior to removal, which is now over due by
several years...

Many thanks to those that provided constructive comments, and a sharp rap

on
the knuckles to those that assumed we were up to something naughty.

Glenn

I laid a gravel drive on top of clay, without much at all in the way of a
sub-base, except
some gravel I had lying about which I scattered in two lines along the drive
where the
wheel tracks would go. Then I put down sand, then a geotextile, then a bit
more sand
( to protect the geotextile ) then the gravel. It all went a bit tits up
since I used pea gravel
which went everywhere until I stabilised it by mixing in some clay subsoil
and getting rid
of the sub-10mm component. How big is this gravel you can get? I would
suggest 10mm
minimum, to stop cats sh*tting in it and prevent it from being traipsed into
the house, but
no more than 20mm. Also helps a bit if it's moderately angular, otherwise it
tends to skitter
out from under your feet. I do have slight ruts where the tyre tracks go,
but nothing
embarassing, and a yearly vigorous rake over erases them.

Andy.