Bill Leonhardt

"Rob Johnstone" wrote in message
m...
The Woodworker's Journal book

It is disturbing for me to read the thread about the Woodworker's
Journal book. I can assure you that there was no intention of causing
aggravation and for that I apologize.

An open letter to Rob Johnstone... or, perhaps, beating a dead horse.

Mr. Johnstone,

I am a subscriber to Woodworkers Journal. It was the first WW magazine that
I subscribed to, I like it and I intend to continue receiving it.

I, too, received the "free" book. I didn't ask for the book, I don't want
to participate in the program and I don't want to go through the process of
sending it back.

I am probably not the oldest reader here, but I am far from the youngest,
therefore I know:

1. The technique used by your company to market this book is common
practice by many.
2. I am under no obligation to reurn the book nor to pay for it.
3. Multiple requests for payment should not be taken personally, they are
just the result of over zealous programing.

The hard part for me is receiving multiple requests for payment. The
rational part of me knows that this is just a computer generated technique
to generate additional revenue, however, on another level, it feels as if
you are attacking my name and reputation. I pay all my bills on time and I
get heartily ****ed off when someone (man or machine) claims I don't. If
the book offer was as noble as you described, you would have sent me ONE
bill period. If I didn't respond, you would let go and move on.

I acknowledge that, following a phone call to your offices, the billing has
stopped. (At least I think so.) The bad feeling remains and is shared by
others as evidenced by the shear number of posts on this topic.

I wish you success with your magazine, and your book club too. I sincerely
hope you modify your marketing techniques, however, to preserve to respect
my woodworkers have for your products.

Respectfully,

Bill Leonhardt