No

Thanks James, for your reply, I ranted a bit in reply to your elec post in
alt.home.repair. Probably not as useful as your reply to my post. Thanks
again.

"James "Cubby" Culbertson" wrote in message
You may also add the Grizzly G0586 to your possibilities. A bit more
expensive
(shipping...not sure what the Yorkcraft ships for) but it seems to have
some very
nice features (handwheels!, 4 cutters, etc...) for the price:

http://www.grizzly.com/products/item...emnumber=g0586

I'm trying to justify how I can buy this thing given I already have a 6"
jointer. I got
the Sunhill 6" version about a year or so ago. Been happy with it but an
8" would be better!
Cheers,
cc

"No" wrote in message
OK - 6" and 8" jointers. Lots of options. I am leaning toward the
Yorkcraft
8" jointer and the Delta 22-580 13" planer.
I think this will be a fine setup for what I do.

My question is really one of what is ideal.

The purpose of a jointer is two fold, making the face of a board flat so
it
can then be planed to proper thickness, secondly, straightening an edge
for
a tight glue up. A planer can not straighten or flatten a board with out
sled and some finagling.

I see a lot of posts by people that talk about ripping their boards down
something that will fit on their jointer then planning. You rarely hear
of
someone ripping a board so it fits in their planer.

Why aren't 13" or larger jointers common? I would think that ideally one
would have a jointer width that matches their planner width. Lots of big
iron, I know. Cost? Room? I know there are a couple of combo machines
(Hitachi I think) that do this.

The Yorkcraft page illustrates my point perfectly
http://www.wilkemachinery.com/Yorkcraft.tpl They advertise a 6" and 8"
jointer and a 15" and 20" planer.

Buying S4S lumber doesn't guarantee you flat and if it is flat when you
buy
it its quite possible its not when you go to use it.

Shouldn't we all have matching jointer and planer widths? The wider the
better?

Ah, here we go! http://www.olivermachinery.net/machi...p?machine=4270
its
only 1750 lbs!