Jonah

I stand firmly behind both you and Rob on this issue, and say 'Bravo!' to your willingness to address the naysayers and
critics in this public forum. This newsgroup is becoming less and less about woodworking and more about a few people
with too much time on their hands sitting at their computers throwing stones at whatever topic-de-jour catches their
interest.
Both of you publish fine magazines that provide a valuable resource to the woodworking community. Anyone who believes
that you would stoop to underhanded marketing techniques at the risk of your good names has been brainwashed by the spam
police into mistrusting everyone and everything.
Thank you and keep up the good work.

A.J. Hamler wrote:
Once again, this topic comes up. I thought we laid this to rest a
couple of weeks ago when it was my magazine under attack. At the time,
I explained as carefully as I could that *NO OBLIGATION* is the name of
the game with these kinds of offers. There is no reason under the sun
for anyone who gets an offer of this type to get all upset and feel
guilty. If you like the offer and want more, sign up. If you don't,
send it back. If you don't like the offer, and don't want to send it
back, then don't. Just keep it as a gift. Give it to someone else as a
gift. Toss it out. Whatever.

A couple of weeks back when it was Woodcraft Magazine under attack, I
not only attempted to explain all of this, but also stood up for Rob
and WWJ's book promotions because the situations were so similar. (I
seem to recall that I was criticized for that by a couple of posters.)
But it's the same thing. There's nothing sleazy here, nothing
underhanded. Rob's a great guy and edits a fine publication. He has
better things to do than scam woodworkers. If you get a promotional
offer from his publication, or mine, or anyone else's (I got a free
cookbook last week from BH&G, with the exact same kind of offer),
there's nothing to get upset or guilty about. It's just plain old
simple marketing of an offer that we publishing folks hope you'll like.
If you like it, buy it. If you don't, ignore it. You won't hurt our
feelings, and we won't come yell at you.

As Rob says, "Read the enclosed letter." Everything you need to know
is in there.

A.J.