Tom Watson

On Wed, 25 May 2005 04:26:26 GMT, "toller" wrote:

I am building a cabinet that is way too big for my clamps, and doesn't have
parallel sides anyhow; so gluing the shelves in dados would be difficult.

When assembling the shelves, I would like to put in a few biscuits to make
sure the alignment is correct, and use pocket screws to actually hold it
together. I have had problems in the past getting things perfectly even
with just pocket screws, but the biscuits ought to fix that.

Any reason this is a bad idea? (other than the obvious one that pocket
screws are inherently improper)

It's kinda like you're using two sloppy things to make a perfect
thing.

The biscuits will get you close, but then you will have to clamp to
get things close enough.

The pocket screws are really only temporary clamps, but not the kind
of clamps that you would use for alignment.

Tom Watson - WoodDorker
tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (email)
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/ (website)