Ted

Kevin,

I was a part time photographer for about 17 years. I really enjoyed it
for a long time. But, toward the end it became a drag. It was a
secondary income and became very time consuming. I am now back to
doing photograhy only for fun. But during that 17 years I learned a
lot about part time business/hobbies. Here are a few things:

1. Learning to deal with people is just as important as being good at
your craft. Bed side manner is important.
2. Just because you are taking in lots of money doesn't mean you are
making any. I think I ended up paying people to take their pictures
when I first started and didn't even know it.
3. Once you have a contract with a person for a job they become your
boss. You are never really working for yourself.
4. There is more involved in running a business than just taking
pictures (or turning bowls). All of that other stuff that needs to be
done to run a business is not as much fun but it is necessary.

I took a few years off from having any hobby until I couldn't stand it
any more. So a few years ago I started looking for a new release for
my creative energies. One day I wondered into an restaraunt that had
an art gallery attached. Low and behold they were displaying some
pieces that were made of wood and (I found out later) were made on a
lathe. I started to research how woodturning was done and before long
ended up buying a lathe. Next came all of the extras needed to make
the turning process work efficiently. All of a sudden it was getting
as expensive as all of the cameras and studio equipment I had just
gotten rid of. But it was fun and I was hooked.

In the past few years I have given a lot of bowls away. More recently
everyone has been asking me if I plan to sell them. At first I was
reluctant. But, my wife took some to work and sold over $200 worth in
one day. Then about 3 weeks ago she sign me up for a small one day
craft show. It wasn't very well advertised and very few people showed
up but I sold another $600 worth (25 bowls this time ranging from $20
to $75 each). I think I'm hooked again.

I have a few more years before I can retire but I think woodturning
will become a part time income once I do. I like talking to people
about what I have made and I like making a few bucks in the process.
But I don't think I will ever do this as my sole income. I hope that I
have learned some lessons from my first business so I don't get burned
out again. One thing I like about woodturning over photography is that
no one has to see my work in progress or even know what I am working
on until it is done. If you are taking pictures of people they are
there with you while you are creating. That can be annoying. But
woodworking lets me work at my own pace without someone looking over my
shoulder the whole time. So far the only pressure I feel is that which
I put on myself.

Hope this meandering story helps,
Ted