Ron Robinson

Hi Kevin,

About 10 years ago, after doing flat work for about twenty years, I stumbled
into turning. I was already hooked by the time that first awful weed pot
came off the lathe. After a brief run of excitement over somewhat free
gifts, we discovered that my wife couldn't give the stuff away fast enough
to stem the tide of turnings. So selling was inevitable.

One of the problems is how to get into selling without selling out your
hobby. Nailshooter nailed one of the dilemmas when he wrote--

I have indeed sold some of the things I have made, but more as a lark.
I don't want to ruin the most fun hobby I have had in years by having
any type of demands put on it.

I avoided this problem by NEVER making a custom order. If someone wanted
something special I would agree to make one in my choice of style, my choice
of woods, my choice of finish and on my own schedule. When the project was
completed, I would call the person to come and have first shot at buying it.

Very seldom did the customer ever not buy the item. If they didn't, someone
else did. Because I learned that when I liked what I made, others did also.

Now, about selling. I have avoided galleries like the plague after my
initial exposure to the artsy types. I found my best market in gift shops
and drugstores. Putting a load of turnings in my truck and selling wholesale
to retail establishments is much preferred to the craft circuit. Although I
do a bit of that also.

I never intended to make it a business or the major source of income. But
over the years it has kept the stash of turnings at a manageable level and
given me a very enjoyable hobby that has not drained the family budget. The
sales covered the costs of equipment, wood, gadgets, finishes and sandpaper.
In essence, giving me a very pleasurable free hobby. My golfing, fishing,
hunting and collecting friends don't have it as well.

Good luck on finding your own niche in the turning world.

Ron

Ron Robinson
East Texas