Tony the Turner Tony the Turner is offline
Member

Location: West Yorkshire, UK

Coming a bit late into the discussion, I could be going over old ground but here's my 2d worth.

Like most turners, I took up woodturning because it seemed a good idea at the time. Like most woodturners I soon got hooked and acquired more and more tools etc to produce more and more turned items. Gifts to friends, relations and work colleagues helped reduce the numbers scattered around the house but they were still multiplying. Fortunately I was asked to take part in a village fete in France (where we have a "maison secondaire" and I keep a portable lathe). Almost everything I had put on the stall went and I had a number of back orders.

Since then I have attended a few local craft fairs in the UK and made very satisfactory sales. This still didn't make me a pro and nothing will as the time I take to make an item to my satisfaction (to say nothing of that of "senior management") gives me an hourly rate well under the national minimum wage.

What I do get, however, is the satisfaction of seeing people admire my work, even if they don't buy i, and talking about wood and turning. Last weekend, I topped it off by selling an item to another woodturner!

So, give it a try. A stall at a local fair is very cheap and can be a fun day out. If you sell, so much the better.