Holly in France

On 24 May 2005 09:01:30 -0700, wrote:

Hi

This is slightly OT as I don't plan to do it myself but...

We have a truss roof (if that's the right term for a roof thats made

up
from an array of prefabricated wooden triangles). The roof space is
full of criss-cross wooden beams so I guess that a loft conversion
would require a complete new roof. Has anyone here done a loft
conversion on a roof like this and what was involved?

Many thanks

Nick

Your original post didn't appear here for some reason. We have replaced or
altered a number of roof trusses in buildings for loft conversions. We have
one coming up soon for a family whose architect had the stairs finishing
directly under the bottom string of the truss! It will depend on the design
of the roof structure, it might well be possible to do it without removing
the roof but that would depend on many factors. Structurally it can
probably be done but it would also depend on whether the roof can be
propped during the work (unless old truss can be left in the meantime) and
ease of access for getting new materials into place. You need to ask a good
builder with experience of this sort of thing (some won't have a clue), or
preferably a structural engineer.

--
Holly, in France
Holiday home in Dordogne