Dave Plowman

Default TV and radio aerials on one mast?

In article ,
Andy Hall wrote:
Probably not.

You are also relatively close to Wrotham, which carries the national
BBC channels and has a much higher power level than the local
stations.

There are 'fill in' transmitters for the national stations at CP. Before
these reception in my part of London was more akin to parts of Wales.

I used to drive to work via Trinity Road which runs from Wandsworth Bridge
to Tooting Bec, crossing Wandsworth Common. And in the traffic jam
crossing the common in the morning, R4 would cancel so completely due to
multipath that you couldn't understand speech.
Sometime in the late '80s, John Birt the then DG of the BBC bought a
house just off Trinity Road - which never sprouted an external VHF aerial
- so either he had a line feed of the main BBC stations, or he never
listened to them on FM, as portable radio reception was near impossible.
Then shortly afterwards these 'fill in' transmitters appeared with R4
being the first.

Before this I had experimented with an 8 element VHF on every chimney
stack in the house trying for best results from Wrotham, but never got
100% satisfactory results.

However, IIRC these transmitters are vertically polarised only, and since
all the others are mixed polarisation it makes sense to have the aerial
vertically mounted - which non of the riggers round here seem to have
cottoned on to...

--
*If love is blind, why is lingerie so popular? *

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn