mac davis

On Tue, 24 May 2005 10:11:43 -0500, "Kevin" wrote:

She asked if I was going to sell any of the bowls I make. To be completely
honest I never gave it a thought. So I have a question. When y'all started
turning was it more of a hobby, something to do as relaxation, or as an
adjunct to other construction activities? I see it more as relaxation and an
opportunity to create, as a balance to sitting in front of a computer screen
7:30 - 5:00 five days a week. I take enjoyment in seeing something actually
taking shape under my direction within a rather short period of time.
Gardening offers the same although the gratification is spread out over the
summer.
I give my bowls away as gifts and carted a dozen or so over to China this
past Christmas to hand out to wife's siude of the family. When you first
started thinking about selling, were there doubts about the quality of your
work and if anyone would actually but the things? Comments are appreciated.

I'll try not to make this too long *g*

I went back to turning about a year ago, after reading posts about turning green
wood... just saw a piece of old firewood in the bed of the truck one day and
decided to throw it on the lathe.. the wood turned out to be ash, and made a
pretty good "round box"..
My wife (3rd wife, so we've only known each other for 6 or 7 years) had never
seen me use the Shopsmith for a lathe and it kind of blew her away that I could
"do that".. lol
Since I still had part of a cord of mixed hardwood outside from the previous
winter, she thought it would be cool to turn some Christmas presents..
(see https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis/xmas-04.htm )
As it "turned out", I was turning 5 or 6 crude (though I didn't think they
were, then) things a night... small bowls, boxes, etc... and she was staining
and finishing any that weren't finished on the lathe..
The problem was, she liked EVERY damn thing I made and squirreled them away as
soon as they were done... I think in a couple of months, I turned about 50
things and we gave away 3!

Added a Oneway chuck.. more stuff in the garage but no giving away..

She gave me a Jet mini for Christmas... MORE (and a little better) bowls and
stuff... I gave a few away and she was upset, so I just went back to making
'em..

then, she comes home with a 1/4 cord of plum.. "don't burn it, turn it.. I'm
lovin' it..

Anyway, about 7 months, another $700 or $800 for band saw, bowl chisels,
scrapers, etc., etc. and a lot of learning, and we have 3 cabinets (made for
them) full of finished stuff that she won't part with.. lol

In the last month or so, since we've gone to a couple of art fairs, she's let me
part with a few pieces... mostly from friends or neighbors telling folks what
I'm stuffing the shop with, and asking to see a few.. I've sold about 12 that
way, from between $8 and $35....

No big sales volume, but not bad, since I'm not really trying to sell yet.. the
income doesn't really stop the bleeding in the check book, but it pays for the
new bowl chisels I ordered and the buffer system she ordered..

I would never consider trying to make a living at it, it just wouldn't be fun
any more... I make what I want, when I want to... if some wants to pay more than
it costs me to make it, cool..
If they want something made to order, I have lots of folks here that I can refer
them too..
We'll do a few shows and fairs eventually... just bought a dozen plastic bins in
anticipation of transport to fairs.. they'll be full of scraps and firewood
pretty soon.. *g*

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing