Richard

Kevin

1 Take it as a rule that you won't make a living out of it - only a very
few people do so.

2 I started as a hobbyist as a counter to the computer screen and now am
obsessed - well my wife says so, so it must be true.

3 Be selective in the craft fairs you show at. I go for few but quality
ones. The general circuit is a (to me at least) a waste of time. Think
carefully about what is on the other stands at the show - are you proud to
be exhibiting your wares in their company?

4 The greatest thrill I ever had (well fully dressed anyway!) was when a
total stranger (ie not a friend who was just being kind) pointed to
something I had on a stand and said "I'll buy it". It was only a few quid
(bucks if you are the other side of the Atlantic) but the money didn't
matter - it was the satisfaction that counted.

5 Decide whether you want to churn out cheap stuff or one-off pieces.
Either is valid but, in each case, don't underprice. That is a disservice
not only to the professionals, but to the rest of us who are trying to run
it like a business even if we rely on a salary to pay the mortgage.

6 Think about quality all the time. You can always tell a turner by the
way he (usually) picks up your piece. Are you embarrassed that a pro is
looking at a substandard piece with your name on it? On the other hand, you
are, or should be, your own hardest critic. You need to cover not only the
cost of the wood (and even if given it, I price it at cost price) but the
tools, electricity and above all time. On top of that there's the factor
"This is a damn fine piece of turning and they can jolly well pay handsomely
for it"

7 Burn your failures (of taste, finish or design) - or cut them on the
bandsaw to see the variations in thickness. For a long time, I used to
bring failures in to get assurance from my wife that I was right and a piece
was indeed substandard. She would exclaim "But it's beautiful", wrench it
from my hands and put it on display in the lounge. When I am out, visitors
are greeted with "My husband is a wood turner and sells his stuff, here are
some of his pieces". I cringe knowing that they are being proudly shown my
failures gallery.

8 I am about to retire to spend more time with my lathe but am well aware
that I must set aside time to be doing other things. Indeed it is said that
if you really turn professional, you'd better get a hobby (ie not turning).

I hope that was useful

Richard
"Kevin" wrote in message
She asked if I was going to sell any of the bowls I make. To be

completely
honest I never gave it a thought. So I have a question. When y'all

started
turning was it more of a hobby, something to do as relaxation, or as an
adjunct to other construction activities? I see it more as relaxation and

an
opportunity to create, as a balance to sitting in front of a computer

screen
7:30 - 5:00 five days a week. I take enjoyment in seeing something

actually
taking shape under my direction within a rather short period of time.
Gardening offers the same although the gratification is spread out over

the
summer.
I give my bowls away as gifts and carted a dozen or so over to China this
past Christmas to hand out to wife's siude of the family. When you first
started thinking about selling, were there doubts about the quality of

your
work and if anyone would actually but the things? Comments are

appreciated.