Leo Lichtman

"Kevin" wrote: (clip)something to do as relaxation, or as an adjunct to
other construction activities? I see it more as relaxation and an
opportunity to create, (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Almost everyone starts out with this idea--relaxation, creativity,
enjoyment. I have a book on the subject of selling arts and crafts, where
the author "proves," in an early chapter, that you MUST end up selling your
stuff or quit. At first you place them around the house, and give them as
gifts. After a while each your friends has more than one of your bowls, and
their smiles of appreciation are beginning to look a little forced. Then
the bowls start to pile up, and your effort to continue is pushing against
the backlog. So, according to this author, you must start selling.

The problem is that, for many people, this changes the attitude toward the
work and the time spent. Unless you are REALLY successful, your hourly rate
of return will be quite low.

For myself, I prefer not to sell. I turn only when I am enjoying it, and I
DON'T CARE if a little project takes a long time. If a job is a failure, I
just shrug. It it turns out well, I take it to the club "show and tell."