charlie b

All,

I am new to the dovetailing game and I need some advice. I recently was
given a Leigh D4 as a graduation gift and am attempting to make some
boxes. The boxes will have 4 sides only (i.e. no bottom or top) and
will be used as modular storage in my new apartment. I will be using
through dovetails to join them.

According to the Leigh manual, the maximum thickness of the pin board
is 1" but the stock I have is 5/4". What dovetail/straight bit
combination do I need to join these thick pieces? I'd rather not plane
it down as I like the look of the very thick walls.

Thanks,
Ben

Can you get by with half blind dovetails? The look will be
different but the joint will be plenty strong..

OR - box/finger joints? You can get spiral upcut or down
cut bits that will cut 1 1'4".

charlie b