George

"David" wrote in message
We're talking Fuji apples vs McIntosh apples. g

M&T, when glued, need to be less than "as tight as you can get them".

NOW I find out you were talking pegged...

Nope, you just need to think of how the M&T joint works. In load direction,
the tenon takes the force. At right angles to load, the shoulders resist
movement when they register against the other piece - thus the pegs or draw
boring, which substitutes for a clamp in assembly. The glue may be omitted
or may crumble, leaving the joint mechanically sound.

If you want to know what happens to unshouldered tenons, look at the loose
rungs on any chair.