Ron

"Pete C." wrote in news:428FF8EC.89A55199
@snet.net:

Ron wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in
:
"Steve W." wrote:

Why don't you have an electrician wire the plug?

Here's a hint the black (hot line) and white (hot line) wires go

the blades on the plug. Green is the ground/neutral wire in a

three
wire 220 plug. It goes to the round pin.

Personally I switched the power lead on mine to a four wire feed

and
grounded it properly.

How the heck do you "properly" ground a 220v welder by switching

four wire cordset?

A four wire cordset only adds a neutral to your two hot and one

ground
conductor and a 220v welder doesn't use a neutral. The welder

comes
with a 3 wire cordset because that is all it uses. It's not like

clothes dryer where there is a small 120v load which used to be
allowed to be carried on the ground and now requires a proper 4

wire
feed.

Pete C.

every welder I have every been around or owned has a 110volt

cooling
fan
which needs a good neutral , and using the green wire for is is
asking
for trouble some time in the future, its a equipment safty ground

Well, that is certainly not the case with all of them.

My Syncrowave definitely does not use a neutral, in fact it has a

whole
separate winding in it's transformer to provide power for a 120v

utility
outlet on the machine which provides power for the coolmate cooler.

In fact, given the ready availability of 220v cooling fans at

exactly
the same cost as the 120v version I can't possibly see why anyone

would
design a 220v welder and stick a 120v fan on it.

Pete C.

now why would you need a 110volt transfomer when you already have
two 110 volts hot legs coming in?