Lane

"Lane" lane (no spam) at copperaccents dot com wrote in message

"ldg" wrote in message

I've been lurking this group for a few weeks in hope of answering my
own questions from your experience, but I'm a little to dense to solve
this apparently.

I need patio brackets.

I hired a guy to make plans for several additions to the house, one
being a tile covered patio. This patio looks simple enough on paper.
it has 6 posts, with 4 being at 45 degree angles. The framing is 6x6
lumber, and there are 2 large trusses made with these large beams that
span the 20 foot width.

The problem is no one seems to make 45 degree brackets to hold the
wood up.

My carpenter found a local blacksmith who can make the brackets, but
his schedule is such that I'm probably not going to get the thing done
this year. My wife is upset and that, believe me, is not a good
thing.

Anyone have any suggestions?

I did some welding about 30 years ago. I suppose I could buy an arc
welder and plasma cutter, then just do the job myself. (To tell the
truth this is appealing.) The problem is I'm not in the least
artistic. How can I make a simple, yet decorative set of brackets?

I looks at though a fairly simple jig could be made of the decorative
cuts in some sort of (ceramic?) guide, then the shape could be cut out
with a plasma cutter. This would leave straight welds, which I could
probably handle.

Am I way off base?

Thanks for any help.

It's ok to make fun. I deserve it by now. Anyone that would pour
concrete in 45 degree corners and not research the entire patio parts
list ahead of time should be made fun of. :-)

From this group, I've sort of settled on the Miller 625 plasma cutter
and the Miller 210 welder. The cost is still considerable less than
having the brackets made. What do ya think?

Regards.
Larry

Larry
Here is another idea that you may not have thought of. That is to post
your
location and ask if there is anyone on this NG who would be interested in
building them for you.

I've also posted this on the rec.crafts.metalworking newsgroup which is
another very helpful NG. Both of these NG's have some very capable people.

Good luck.

This was originally posted to the sci.engr.joining.welding newsgroup.\
I posted it here for the original poster.
Lane