Art

Sad to say, either a ringer to test the LOPT before replacing the output
transistor or estimate to include the LOPT as a nominal repair. IMHO the
cost of the output transistor is small price to pay to do a dynamic test on
the LOPT. Seen a lot of these transformers fail not only in the larger sizes
but also the 27" versions.
wrote in message
oups.com...
I recently did a CTC203 that was squealing. I found the horizontal
output transistor shorted and replaced it. I then dug out the infamous
coil and cleaned/ resoldered it as well. I fired the thing up only to
have the flyback arc and take out the new transistor. I then replaced
the flyback and of course the new transistor again and the set worked
fine. I don't have a ringer but I have been told that this type of
insulation breakdown is somewhat common on these 32 inch and larger
chassis and very often won't show up on a ring test anyway. I don't
want to just replace a flyback as a prophylactic measure every time one
of these squealers comes in but is there any way to predict this might
happen before powering up a new repair. Thanks, Lenny Stein, Barlen
Electronics