JR North

You may be able to restore most of the capacity depending on the
condition and age of the battery, but you will need a charge rate of 30
amps or so to boil off the plates. A little trickle charger wont do.
JR

wrote:

Is it possible to resurrect a lead acid battery from the dead?

I have an old 12 volt automobile battery that was stored for
sometime in a discharged state. The battery voltage read around
6 volts in the discharged state. I charged it at 1 amp for 10 hours and
then tested the capacity using a automotive tail light drawing 1.3
amps. The battery voltage fell from 12.5 volts to around 9 volts within
1.5 hours indicating the capacity was not too much.

When I again recharged the battery, it sustained the load for
a longer period indicating the capacity had increased to
around 5 amp hours.

I'm wondering if cycling the battery over several charge and
discharge cycles will improve the capacity?

This charge and discharge cycling seems to improve the capacity
for a couple cycles, how much improvement should I expect from
several charge and discharge dycles?

-Bill

Home Page:
http://www.seanet.com/~jasonrnorth