J&KCopeland

"stoutman" wrote in message
. com...
This has probably been asked before, but...

I recently started watching David Marks on DIY. I have yet to see him cut
a "real" tenon. Always loose tenons using a multi router.

Why is this? Is there an advantage to loose tenons that I am unaware of?
Does he just like to show off his multi router? Are they just easier to
make?

I use to only watch Nahmmy and I have learned 90% of what I know from him.
Nahmmy "rarely" made loose tenons.

Confused...

This was demonstrated on diynet..

http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/hi_too...119901,00.html

The process is no more complicated than creating a dowel joint, (and in
fact, the drill jig could be used to create dowel holes if desired.) The
secret is that once the jig is clamped to the workpiece, and you drill a set
of holes, there is a slide mechanism, that allows the jig to move exactly
half the distance between the holes. Sounds complicated, but after watching
a demonstration, it is a very simple process.

(shims are provided in the kit, if offset tenons are to be used.)

http://www.beadlock.com/ sells the jig and the necessary router bits to
create just about any size, or length of loose tenons, that you would desire
or you can buy the tenon stock premade. (The router bits to make the tenon
stock cost more that then jig...)

I have NOT bought one of these, yet, and I would certainly appreciate any
downside to the system, that I'm not seeing.......

James...