Bill Waller

On Fri, 06 May 2005 19:49:51 GMT, (Doug Miller) wrote:

In article . net, "Ralph Mowery" wrote:

"toller" wrote in message
No such thing as 220v or 230v, only 240v; which some people insist on
calling almost anything. However, you are thinking of 208v, which is two
legs of three phase; but since you don't have 3 phase, it really doesn't
matter.

What voltage is 208 using two out of three legs of ? It is usually a 208
three phase system. YOu take two legs off that and get the nominal 110
volts.

Wrong. 208V 3ph is 208V phase-to-phase and 120V phase-to-neutral.

Except for Philadelphia Electric. I personally worked with a 240 3 phase
service that provide nominal 120v to ground (neutral) on two legs and 208v to
ground (neutral) on one leg. That leg was refereed to as the "high leg". I
personally blew up some fluorescent lighting because I failed to check which
leg I was using.

I have been told that the PECO scenario is a bit unusual.

Bill Waller
New Eagle, PA