Patriarch

"stoutman" wrote in
. com:

I recently started watching David Marks on DIY. I have yet to see him
cut a "real" tenon. Always loose tenons using a multi router.

You just recently started watching. He does loose tenons with a plunge
router quite regularly, when it makes more sense. The three axis motion of
the Multirouter is fine when the pieces fit the tables well enough, but if
the project gets large, the value is reduced.

Some of the benches and tables, where he cuts the joinery in solid stock,
then shapes to curves, are much easier to do with the plunge router than
with the Multirouter.

DJM seems to look for projects to show how various tools and processes are
used, as though the process shown is at least as important as the finished
product. That's one of the reasons I watch him.

Norm's good, too.

BTW, I saw the Krenov/Carpenter Masters show again this evening for a
little bit. That's another style of show I like. Norm has done a few of
these, and Roy does them several times a season.

Find a project to try the loose tenons. You'll be pleased.

Patriarch