Robert Barr

The OP has already said he's tested the switch and found that position
#2 isn't functional (continuous), while the others are. I'd say it's
likely the guy knows how to use a meter, and therefore it's the grungy
contacts (and maybe degraded spring force) that are to blame.

I had an identical problem with a Volkswagen fan switch. I found the
contacts all green & crumbly from corrosion. I cleaned the contacts
using Flitz, sprayed it down with contact cleaner (Chem-clean, I think)
and reinstalled it. It worked fine from then on, for about 8 years.

I'd say avoid any lubricant at all. Just polish the contact areas &
reassemble.

What should I do?

Thanks for any help.

Meirman