Ace

For what it's worth, we had a "professional" landscaper do a retaining wall
for us about
15 years ago using railroad ties. His concept of setting the vertical posts
first and then leveling
them with a chain saw sounded just fine.

To his dismay, the vertical 'posts' had all sorts of sand, etc. in then
which ate up the chains of
his saw at a very rapid rate.

Summed up, they don't cut/machine very easily???

Good luck!
"Stan Mulder" wrote in message
newsan.2005.05.21.19.13.18.803688@intrepidsoftwa re.com...
I've been asked to help a friend replace some old rotting railroad ties
lining a garden area. This time they want to join the ties together in
some way and since I'm not very knowledgeable about woodworking I thought
you guys could give me some ideas. The ties will be just one layer high.
There are four 90 degree angles since the garden is rectangular. The
straight areas will need several ties joined together and I'm not sure
what type of cuts/splices/dowels to use to fasten these things together.
They are fairly large pieces of wood. Any ideas and/or photos are greatly
appreciated.

Stan