Wood Butcher

How about using half lap joints secured with these?
http://www.mcfeelys.com/subcat.asp?subcat=20.1.12.10

Art

"Stan Mulder" wrote in message
newsan.2005.05.21.19.13.18.803688@intrepidsoftwa re.com...
I've been asked to help a friend replace some old rotting railroad ties
lining a garden area. This time they want to join the ties together in
some way and since I'm not very knowledgeable about woodworking I thought
you guys could give me some ideas. The ties will be just one layer high.
There are four 90 degree angles since the garden is rectangular. The
straight areas will need several ties joined together and I'm not sure
what type of cuts/splices/dowels to use to fasten these things together.
They are fairly large pieces of wood. Any ideas and/or photos are greatly
appreciated.

Stan