Mary Fisher

wrote in message
On Sat, 21 May 2005 01:20:10 +0100, Edwin
wrote:

When I was young (sixties also) we had these newfangled things called
"Saturday".

You are after me then Edwin I joined the army in July 1960 must have
been great being young in the sixties with no ration books to bother
about . You know I would just love to take half a dozen or so young
parents with young children who think they are so hard done by today
back to the late forties and early fifties hell they would starve to
death .

No they wouldn't. You didn't. I didn't. Most people didn't.

No washing machines no central heating no bathrooms unless you
where really posh and in our case no electricity either until 1952.
None of the junk food read meals

er - there was a huge amount of canned food including 'meats'. Much of the
pre-prepared things sold by butchers such as sausages had a very low meat
content. I often found bits of cardboard in the 'porage' I had at school - I
didn't care, it went down. How about dried potatoes, milk, eggs, things like
Sagion 'stuffing' and 'gravy' browning ... would *you* like to go back to
those days, truthfully?

that you see parents of today
stuffing into their supermarket trolleys, all food had to be cooked
from fresh produce

No it didn't.

which was bought in the local town and carried home
on the bus

Many -I'd opine most - people had local shops in walking distance.

the average working class family could not afford to run a
car in those days .

It wasn't just about not being able to afford a car, there were very few
cars about for anyone to afford.

My godfather had a Jowett Bradford van, he taught me to drive in that but it
wasn't until 1970 that we had a car.

And I personally seem to remember late night opening on a Friday. Maybe
it depended on where you lived?

The only shops open late in our area where the off licences .

Ah yes, the working classes could always buy their booze.

Not much has changed, really ...

Mary