My question was poorly asked - sorry.

I will need to choose between LP gas and an elec. heat pump. Oil is out of
the question because of environmental issues on this particular site.

If an elec heat pump then there will be a choice between a conventional or
ground source heat pump.

If a ground source, there would be a choice between open and closed loop
systems.

If open loop, the water source would be from a 400 foot well with water in
the well casing rising to about 180' below ground surface. I mention this
because of energy considerations. (Energy to pump the water). If I went
this route I am not sure what the implications of disposing of the water
might be, or system unreliability to clogging of some sort from the water.
There is a small river which empties into the Chesapeake Bay and I expect
that I would not be allowed to discharge water into it.

The setting is wooded, but due to clearing for the house it may get quite a
bit of sun during its early years.

Thanks for any help.

On Fri, 06 May 2005 01:22:41 -0400, wrote:

I am building a new home in SE Virginia. I am wondering if I should
consider gas heat. What are the pros & cons.

Thanks.