Mike Fields

"madhat" wrote in message
Anyone have any ideas for a low-impact exercise program? The nearest thing
we have to a gym in the area is 80 mi from here.

I started a on a sort of modified diet Monday last week. I started at 400
and this morning was 388. I think I could do better if I could get some
exercise into the program.

My problem is bad back, bad right leg, and chronic pain from a work

injury.
I was about 270 , 8 1/2 years ago before I became pretty much disabled and
could not get my usual exercise. I used to walk/jog 6mi a day and work the
weight machine a couple of times a week. Now I'm pretty much out of that.
It's the sh_ts living in mountains and Oregon and not being able to go
hunting and fishing anymore.

Been there done that. I finally ended up with a gastric bypass that has
worked well (-150). Best exercise for you is walking -- one thing (from
experience) that can help .. well two things - back exercises AND
try wearing a daypack (or backpack) with some weight in it to sort
of "counterbalance" the pot. I myself used to have a massive chest -
as I get older, I still have it ... just about a foot lower ;-)

You don't say where you live in Oregon, but if you can get access to
water (pool, pond (depending on what part of the country) etc.),
swimming works very well and takes the load off your back. (Oregon
has a southern warm part and a northern cold part) ;-)

mikey